Torrens Connect operates and maintains the Adelaide Tram Network. Application to access the network is required if:
- there is a requirement to access the Tram Network to undertake work, or
- the activities will encroach onto the Tram Network, or
- the activities have the potential to impact the intended operation of a level crossing i.e. contra-flow.
Prior to applying for access, Torrens Connect requires all applicants to read the Permit to Work Procedure (680 KB PDF) to ensure terms and conditions on accessing the Tram Corridor are understood and complied with.
As per Section 118 of the Rail Safety National Law (RSNL), every person working on the Tram Network must be able to provide proof of ID and competencies. To meet this requirement, all Rail Safety Workers (RSWs) on the network must hold and carry a valid Rail Industry Worker (RIW) card.
RIW is a national competency management system for rail workers. It is owned by the Australasian Railway Association (ARA) and endorsed by all its member organisations. The system is provided by Metro Trains Australia. More information about the program can be found on the RIW website.
Specific information about Torrens Connect’s Safeworking Rules and Procedures, including network access requirements, is available on our safety resources page. Delivery of Torrens Connect’s Operational Rail Induction (ORI) will be delivered through the RIW Portal.
It is the responsibility of all RIW card holders to ensure they are aware of updates to Torrens Connect’s Safeworking Rules and Procedures. Therefore, it is essential that you keep your contact details up-to-date in order to receive any updates.
Other conditions must be met and upheld to ensure the safety of both workers and the general public:
- All work is to be conducted under the supervision of a Competent Worker (LO/PO).
- The Tram Network is electrified by way of 600V DC Overhead Wiring (OHW). When applying for access you may need to consider additional electrical safety requirements.
- All sub-contractor Rail Safety Workers must have received at least one dose of a Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) approved COVID-19 vaccine or have a medical exemption as required by the Emergency Management (Passenger Transport Vaccination) (COVID-19) Direction 2021.
- All sub-contractor RIW card holders must complete and submit a COVID-19 Declaration Form before permission can be granted to access any site.